The Governing Body Terms of Reference
The Governing Body needs to take a strategic role, act as a critical friend to the School and be accountable for its decisions. It should set aims and objectives and agree, monitor and review policies, targets and priorities
Membership – As per the Instrument of Government, which states 12 Governors in total, comprising 2 parent governors, 1 LA governor, 1 staff governor, 1 teacher governor, headteacher and 7 foundation governors.
One half of the number of Governors in post
Disqualification – as per Regulation 20 and Schedule 6 of the Constitution Regulations.
Terms of reference:
· To agree constitutional matters*, including procedures where the Governing Body has discretion
· To recruit new members as vacancies arise and to appoint new governors* where appropriate
· To hold at least three Governing Body meetings a year*
· To appoint or remove the Chair and Vice Chair*
· To appoint or remove a Clerk to the Governing Body*
· To establish the committees of the Governing Body and their terms of reference*.
· To appoint the Chair of any committee (if not delegated to the committee itself)
· To appoint or remove a Clerk to each committee*
· To suspend a governor*
· To decide which functions of the Governing Body will be delegated to committees, groups and individuals*
· To receive reports from any individual or committee to whom a decision has been delegated and to consider whether any further action by the Governing Body is necessary*
· To approve the first formal budget plan of the financial year
· To keep the Health and Safety Policy and its practice under review and to make revisions where appropriate
· To review the delegation arrangements annually*
· Any additional items at the discretion of the full Governing Body
*these matters cannot be delegated to either a committee or an individual.