What have Governors done this year?
What have governors done this year?
The Chair of the Governing Body, David Borland, writes:
Work the Governing Body has undertaken this year (2016) includes:
- ensuring that sufficient governors have passed the safer recruitment requirements in order to assist the senior leadership team in appointing new teachers.
- preparing for the return of Ofsted to ensure that the school is graded 'Good' with Outstanding features. This involves the continuing focus on improving teaching and learning, developing leadership and management and providing a curriculum for all.
- seeking the views of parents about our school by way of a Questionnaire and making changes where possible.
- giving parents the opportunity to discuss informally any matters concerning the school at parents' evenings
- continuing to conduct the Standards and Effectiveness Committee meetings to evaluate the quality of teaching, standards and pupil progress.
- continuing to monitor age related performance data from various sources e.g. Lancashire School Information Profile, RAISEonline and self-evaluation
- setting and monitoring a budget of over £1,000,000 that meets the requirements of the school
- currently seeking 'what the children think of their school' to enrich their experiences and enjoyment of learning
- ensuring that the school website is fully compliant
- updating its training development plan and conducting a self-evaluation review
- ensuring the school fulfils its health and safety obligations and following statutory guidance 'Keeping children safe in education' published in September by the Department for Education
- setting and measuring performance objectives for Mr Blackburn
- continuing to preserve and develop the ethos of the school including its Christian distinctiveness. A Vision and Values group has started meeting to ensure continued focus on meeting the aims of our Mission Statement.
Kelly Bishop (one of two new parent governors) has been appointed Vice-Chair of our Resources Committee which oversees finance and buildings. Matthew Hitchcock remains Chair and ICT Governor.
Nic Ford (parent governor) has joined the Governing Body
Nicola Sant has been appointed Vice-Chair of our Personnel and Curriculum Committee. Jo-Ann Murphy remains Chair and also Vice-Chair of the Governing Body
Sarah West continues to review how the school makes use of the Pupil Premium funding (money that is received from Government to support learning for disadvantaged pupils) and keeping an eye on the progress of our more able and gifted pupils as well as our special educational needs pupils.
Graeme Lucas is our nominated Literacy Governor
Debbie Holgate has been appointed school business manager to replace the school bursar post and continues as our Link Governor in charge of our training programme and arranging Governor Class visits every term.
The Governing Body as a whole continues to review its working practices particularly in the areas of succession planning; class visits and training modules. It has a robust induction process and mentoring programme for new governors and has undertaken a skills audit to inform our training needs.