What have Governors done this year?
The Chair of the Governing Body, David Borland, writes:
Work the Governing Body has undertaken this year (2018) includes:
- Reviewing the Admission Policy resulting in proposed significant priority changes
- Supporting the senior leadership in monitoring the School Improvement Plan 2018/19 particularly focussing on 1) Teaching and Learning and 2) Leadership and Management
- Ensuring in partnership with the Headteacher that the Safeguarding Policy is updated and complaint.
- Meeting with the Headteacher to discuss improvements in communications and feedback in response to the Parent’s Questionnaire 2018.
- Adopting the new Code of Conduct now posted on the school website
- Working closely with our professional clerk to ensure that meetings are timely and effective
- Undergoing substantive training to ensure good management practice, for example, ‘Smarter Governance’ which is designed to keep Governors up to date particular with regard to significant legislative changes and revised terminology
- Reviewing the Governors Development Plan in identifying priorities e.g. School Distinctiveness following the Statutory Inspection judgement of ‘Outstanding’ amongst Anglican and Methodist Schools
- Setting and monitoring a sustainable (challenging) budget in very tight financial constraints whilst maintaining attainment and progress achievements for all our pupils
- Continuing to work with Schools Out to enhance pupil provision and financial propriety
- Continuing to work with the Friends, via the Headteacher, to enhance pupil provision and resources
- Attending Chair’s Forum, run by Lancashire, to keep up to date with current initiatives
- Cooperating with the Lancashire School Expansion Proposals and engaging with the subsequent building programme and using the surplus accommodation available at the Whalley Library
- Working closely with the School Adviser to ensure that there is capacity to secure effective school improvement
- Supporting extra-curricular events and opportunities e.g. the Gold Sports Award and the new facilities at the Robinwood Centre in Wrexham
- Supporting the Business Manager in achieving the ‘Certificate of Health and Safety Compliance’
- Setting and measuring performance objectives for Mr Blackburn
There have been no changes to the membership of the Governing Body during the year. Please see the Governor section of the school website for further details.
The Governing Body in partnership with the Senior Leadership Team is charged with determining and delivering a clear vision as to where they want the school to be in 3-5 years’ time. It is responsible for setting the culture and ethos to ensure that this is inclusive and provide equality of opportunity for all its pupils and staff.
The Standards and Effectiveness Committee meets every Term and regularly invites senior and/or middle (subject) leaders and special needs staff to make a presentation about their area of responsibility, and in the Summer Term the School Adviser. Its main function is to monitor and evaluate the standards and achievement of all our pupils and the quality of Education provided.
As part of their commitment to the school the Governors do not claim out of pocket expenses and register with the Lancashire Education Authority in order to benefit from the various training courses, via the Service Level Agreement, at a competitive cost.